Sunday, October 4, 2015

Beyond Scared Safe: Life After Fire Part 1

"Do you smell that?"
"Yeah, I do. What is it?"
"I don't know, probably something outside. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy."
I went back to sewing doggy sweaters and my husband went back to playing video games.
"Do you think we should put the little monster to bed?"
"No, he isn't acting all that tired yet, lets wait a little closer to nine baby."
"There's that smell again. Is there a window open?"
"No the heat is on."
It was just a normal night at our house. We were all enjoying the time in each others company, winding down after a long day. Then our whole world went up in flames, literally. The flames broke through the ceiling next to the chimney, right above the playpen that our son was playing in.
"Get Aidan and get next door now!"
It was February first, not even nine pm. The temperature outside was maybe 20 degrees, there was a good two inches on snow on the ground, and here I am running across a field, a 14 month old in my arms, no shoes on my feet, no sweater or jacket, no blanket to wrap the baby in, just a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. My husband back at the house doing everything he can to keep the fire under control until the fire department got there. 20 minutes after the 911 call was made the first of six fire trucks finally arrived. Our lives would never be the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment